Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'll Let You Borrow My Panda if You Come to the Olympics

I'm sorry. This is too rich. In the midst of all the Olympic-torch-tibet-mania, this just in. According to an article today on the LA Times website,

Japan’s oldest giant panda, Ling Ling, a longtime star at Tokyo’s largest zoo and a symbol of friendship with China, died today of heart failure, zookeepers said.

Another Reuters article postulated that this could be an important chance for China's President Hu Jintao to practice panda diplomacy (perhaps some form of black and white loan?), when he visits Japan later this week.

I'm sorry. Did I miss something? I think perhaps Mr. Jintao might want to focus on a few more pressing issues of diplomacy involving men in red robes. Human rights abuses, anyone?

No comments: