Monday, February 18, 2008

Kermit, Move Over

Paleontologists have just revealed the discovery of fossils from an enormous armored toad in Madagascar. Said to have measured 16 inches and weighed 10 lbs, Beelzebufo (devil toad in translation) is believed to have snacked on dinosaur hatchlings back in the day.

Just when I thought this couldn't be any cooler, I learned that Beelzebufo is a relative of normal sized toads in South America today, a fact that challenges current ideas about geography and advocates for the existence of a later term landbridge than we had previously believed to exist.

This is almost too good to be true. In my book, it is hard to beat the sheer amazingness of a giant toad. This guy even had teeth. Now that the writer's strike is over, someone down in Hollywood needs to get their pen in gear and write a screenplay about Beelzebufo. Maybe one featuring a bulked up Mel Gibson and some fair damsel in distress.

I am so impressed by this guy I might go to Madagascar and hang out with his bones for a few days. In fact, if he were still around today, I would give him a giant clap on his armored shoulder and a badge for being so legit. Just so long as he didn't give me giant warts.

No comments: