Sunday, February 10, 2008

Gas Pains

Last Thursday morning I awoke to the pleasant scent of natural gas emanating from my kitchen. I quickly ascertained it's source-- a barely-turned-on burner-- and solved the problem, but the damage was largely done. A housemate and I frantically ran about the house opening windows and doors, trying our hardest not to cause any sparks with the friction between our stockinged feet and the hard-wood floor.

Unsure of the protocol associated with such a leak, we hesitated to leave immediately. What if our kitchen cabinets were singed shut in our absence, and all of our dishtowels destroyed? Still, when we both experienced phantom "gas pains" i.e. lightheadedness, stomach ache, we opted to head for the safety of the library.

I learned one thing from this experience. Natural gas detectors are good. Yes, they can be expensive, running between $40 and $80, but it is much more costly to replace your kitchen.

No comments: